Saturday, February 13, 2010

Logos I Have Designed

I’ve designed a few different logos in my time that are actually getting used! The one I love the most is for the University of Vermont Rubenstein Ecosystem Science Laboratory. I worked in the lab as an undergrad and post grad when the lab was brand new and volunteered to design a logo for a t-shirt. Little did I know that they would actually use the logo for other things, and I admit I’m kind of proud of that (if only I had been compensated with more than a t-shirt!). It depicts a diatom inside a stonefly larvae inside a lake trout - the focus of some of the research going on while I worked in the lab.

See it on their website here:

http://www.uvm.edu/envnr/rubenstein/

Another logo I designed is for my sister and brother in-law’s farm, Jericho Settlers’ Farm. They wanted an old timey feel to match the name of the farm (named after the fact that the farm is situated on land once owned by two of Jericho’s earliest European decent settlers.

See it on their website here:

http://www.jerichosettlersfarm.com/

I played a part in designing a logo for my current place of work at the State's Rivers Program to be embroidered on clothing. I’ll only take a small credit as the concept for the design was hatched by my supervisor, but I helped clean it up and get it in a format that a hired graphic artist could convert and manipulate for embroidery purposes. Here’s a shot of the finished product embroidered on a jacket. Notice how the "V" and the "T" of the two words pop out to stand for "Vermont". In my design they were originally royal blue so they would stand out more from the other text, but that choice got over ridden.

While not a logo perse, some of my artwork also graces the cover of some stream geomorphic assessment protocols used to assess the physical condition of streams in Vermont. My sister was working for the VT Agency of Natural Resources at the time and I was living in Michigan attending grad school studying stream ecology. She asked me to work something up for the cover of the protocols she was helping develop. I whipped up a painting as a draft concept on the back of some scrap paper ans sent it to her. I was expecting to refine it more later but she ended up using it as-is! It shows a river in cross section at three different visual scales - the landscape the river flows through, the river itself, and the bed of the river. Now I work with the protocols on a daily basis in my work, so it's fun to have my own artwork on the cover.

See it on the web here:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/waterq/rivers/htm/rv_geoassesspro.htm

And well, yes, I did design the millstone logo for Millstone Artworks. A pretty simple design. I’m not always in the mood for graphic design – just feels so tight – but sometimes it strikes my fancy. I think this one may evolve a bit over time.



No comments:

Post a Comment